I love celebrating Pi Day. Pi Day is the day where you can unapologetically eat as much pizza and pie as you want, and that is a beautiful thing. It also happens to fall on my best friend's birthday. (Shout out to Kaki! Happy Birthday!)
While I love celebrating Pi(e) Day, I have to say that pie crust isn't my favorite. I usually prefer pies with a different kind of crust. For this Chocolate Silk Pie, I decided to use a brownie crust, but you can use Oreo crumbs if you'd prefer. I just didn't have any Oreos, and I did have some brownies in the freezer from a while ago that were begging to be used.
I've tried and failed in the past to make chocolate curls. This time, I used a web tutorial. They turned out really well! To learn more, you can go to the link I used by clicking here. The recipe for this pie was adapted from Use Real Butter.
Chocolate Silk Pie
Yields: 9-12 servings
2 cups Oreo (or brownie-- I used a mixture of both!) crumbs
4 tbsp butter, melted
2 tbsp sugar
8 oz dark chocolate
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup (1.5 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup whipping cream
2 cups whipping cream
3 tbsp powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 oz chocolate
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit. Butter a 9" springform or pie pan.
2. In a food processor, crush Oreo cookies or brownies. Add the melted butter and sugar. (I omitted the sugar and butter because my brownies were very moist already-- not at all crumbly). Press into the bottom of the prepared pan and bake for 10 minutes. Let cool completely.
3. Melt chocolate, stirring often, until smooth. Add vanilla and stir.
4. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter for 1 minute on medium speed. Add sugar and beat for 4 minutes on medium speed. Add chocolate and beat until incorporated.
5. Add 2 eggs and beat for 3 minutes. Add 3rd egg and beat for 3 more minutes.
6. In a separate bowl, whip cream for 4 minutes, or until stiff peaks form. Fold whipped cream and mousse together until it's completely incorporated.
7. Spread evenly on cooled crust.
8. In a bowl, combine cream, sugar, and vanilla. Whip until stiff peaks form. Pipe onto the pie or spread it evenly however you desire.
9. Look at this link for directions on how to make chocolate curls.