My husband's favorite Little Debbie snack has always been Cosmic Brownies.
When I was trying to decide what to bake a few weeks ago, my husband saw the recipes I was looking at and insisted that I make the cosmic brownies. I didn't have the delicious "chocolate chip candy" (chocolate chips dipped in like an M&M coating), so naturally I had to make an order at Amazon. (Wilton Rainbow Chip Crunch 5.25 oz.)
The best part about these is that they taste unbelievably fresh (as opposed to Little Debbie snacks which have been sitting on a shelf for who-knows-how-long)! No preservatives means they don't have the unmistakable chemicaly flavor. Recipe adapted from Life Made Simple Bakes.
Yields: 16 brownies
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup butter, melted (1 1/2 sticks)
2 tsp vanilla
3 tbsp milk (I used whole milk)
1 1/4 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet, but you can use milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or whatever kind you like best)
1/2 cup heavy cream
Candy-coated chocolate chips-- Wilton Rainbow Chip Crunch 5.25 oz.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Line a 9x13" pan with a piece of parchment paper and lightly grease.
2. In a stand mixer, combine melted butter, sugars, and vanilla. Beat on high for 4 minutes. Add eggs and beat again.
3. Combine dry ingredients (flour, cocoa, baking powder, cornstarch, and salt). Alternating with the milk, add dry ingredients to the butter/sugar mixture. Beat until just combined.
4. Spread evenly in the pan and bake for 18-24 minutes. Let brownies cool in the pan.
5. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine chocolate and cream. Microwave for 1 minute, then stir. Continue in 30 second increments until completely smooth. Spread evenly on cooled brownies and top with sprinkles (Wilton Rainbow Chip Crunch 5.25 oz.)